Home Page

Money matters


If you are looking for information, advice or support regarding money matters you may find the following links useful


Some of these are local organisations, others provide a national service.


Benefit Entitlement
If you would like to find out which benefits you might be entitled to, or if your benefits would change when you return to work, the website has links to Benefits Calculators 

Click here for more information 


Jobcentre Plus

If you have applied for work related benefits you can also find details of how to contact Job Centre Plus here


Step Change Debt Charity (Previously known as the Consumer Credit Counselling Service)
Does the amount of credit you have worry you? 

Are you feeling anxious about what may happen? 

Step Change Debt Charity's purpose is to assist people who are in financial difficulty by providing free, independent, impartial and realistic advice.
Click here to view Step Change Debt Charity  


Sure Start Maternity Grant
Coping with the extra costs of a new baby can be difficult. There’s a grant to help you give your baby a positive start in life. It’s called the Sure Start Maternity Grant.



You could get a one-off payment of £500 to help towards the costs of having a child. This is known as a Sure Start Maternity Grant.

You usually qualify for the grant if both of the following apply:

  • you’re expecting your first child, or you’re expecting a multiple birth (such as twins) and have children already
  • you or your partner already get certain benefits

You must claim the grant within 11 weeks of the baby’s due date or within 3 months after the baby’s birth.

You don’t have to pay the grant back and it won’t affect your other benefits or tax credits.


  • How do I claim?

You can claim a Sure Start Maternity Grant on form SF100. The form comes with notes that will help you fill it in and tell you where to send it.

Click here to find out more about the Sure Start Maternity Grant


Tax Credit payments for families with children
You can be given Child Tax Credit in the form of payments from the government regardless of whether you are working or not.

Child Tax Credit is paid direct to the person who is mainly responsible for caring for the child or children. If you are a lone parent you will receive the payment.

Click here to find out more about Child Tax Credits   


Working Tax Credit is for people who are employed or self-employed (either on their own or in a partnership), who usually work 16 hours or more a week, who are paid for that work, and who expect to work for at least 4 weeks.
Click here to find out more about Working Tax Credits 


CAP Money course is a FREE course that will teach you budgeting skills enabling you to save, budget and prevent debt. They can also offer FREE debt support through phone calls and support teams.

Services include; CAP Job clubs giving you practical help as you seek employment, Fresh Start Groups and CAP Life Skills groups. 


Epsom CAP's Centre is back up and running!

Click here to find out more about CAP.